Sunday, June 9, 2019

“HE SAYS, ‘BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD’” PSALM 46:10 (NIV): Devotional by Lorilyn Roberts




As I was prepped for my third round of proton therapy treatment, I reached up to grab the bars overhead. Once I was positioned, the technician said, “Don’t move.” He closed the treatment room door, and I waited for the cancer-killing machine to start. The equipment started and stopped over and over. My arms became spastic and tired. When the machine finally finished, I broke into tears. I hadn’t moved for two hours. Later, my daughter dropped off some cards from friends to encourage me. Among the cards was a Bible verse: “Be still and know that I am God.”

Click to Tweet Click to Tweet http://bit.ly/LR-BeStill While I never had to stay immobile for that long again, the discipline of being still showed me how difficult it can be in times of stress and uncertainty. #devotional #blogger

However, if we are still, God won’t need to shout to get our attention. We’ll hear his counsel even if he whispers to us in prayer or boldly speaks to us through others. When we have moments of quietness, we’re less likely to become overly distracted by the busyness of life. Being still and waiting on God will also help to prevent us from making costly mistakes. 

Because the tyranny of the urgent will consume us if we let it, we need to allow times of rest and relaxation. Many things can lead us astray or encroach on our lives unnecessarily. Quiet moments allow us to recharge—and that helps to keep us healthy, less stressed, and more content.

Prayer:  Dear Father, help us to be still when we need to be still, ready to serve when we need to serve, and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment